Friday, May 28, 2010

Babies do not Travel Lite

We are getting ready for two family vacations back-to-back. A week long visit to Holden Beach with the Hammocks and Murphys (leaving TOMORROW--so excited and so stressed at the same time!!!!), a five day respite at home, and then a week long trip with my family on a boat. A program the cruise offers is called Babies Travel Lite- an ingenious idea that provides you with diapers, wipes, baby food, etc. in your state room......but with or without that option, there is still a TREMENDOUS amount of stuff to take.

I think we would be best off if there was some way to encapsulate our entire house in a suitcase. Justin and I should seriously consider buying our own semi-truck just for future road trips.......and this with one baby! Each day, my carefully thought out list adds ten items to each one item I am able to cross off. All scenarios must be thought out and anticipated, from the realistic to the absurd........
What if Ainsley's daily diaper consumption grossly multiplies? Better pack enough diapers to provide for four infants.
With our daughter's predilection for spit up, we always have three extra outfits on standby each day, and sadly we have often times surpassed this number! Best if I just pack her whole closet.
What if the North Carolina weather takes a sudden turn for the worse and we experience snow at the beach? Better pack her snow suit just in case.
What if Ainsley decides that she is going to skip crawling and go straight to walking, or has a sudden growth spurt? Better take the 12 month clothes and some shoes to be prepared.

Ok ok I jest, but I think I have made my point.

Deep down I just know every item that I scrimp on and decide not to pack, we will find ourselves in need of. The cruise packing list is probably going to end up just as long-and we have to get on a plane! And of course being new parents, we probably severely overestimate our needs--- last week's conundrum- do we take the travel system, jogger and umbrella strollers??? (Don't laugh, Justin and I actually had a prolonged discussion about this)
The same can be said for our own needs. During our recent last minute prepare for the beach shopping trip, I almost conceeded to buying a box of cereal- mind you cereal that I haven't eaten in over two years, but perhaps this would be the week that I eschewed my customary bagel and took cereal up again.

In the end, I hope that we will use our heads and manage to reduce our items to only the essentials, but a heads up to anyone heading to the North Carolina beaches this weekend............if you spot a blue Tahoe with a U-haul, a trailer, and a roof overflowing with items, don't be afraid to wave hello to us!

No comments:

Post a Comment